Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Monday 27 October 2008

Je suis retournée de Vermont.

Bon jour,

This is the second full day back after being down in Vermont to take care of some things there. The last entry talks about the French conversation group that meets at the Glover and Barton public libraries.

Here in Québec I see a notice on rue St. Jean for a Spanish conversation group that will meet once a week on rue St. Louis, to talk after seeing a film, but there's a $7.00 charge.

There's so much to do that's free here. Yesterday a grand Halloween event on the Plains of Abraham centered in the Joan of Arc park near two of the city's three Martello towers. All sorts of creatures, mostly very little, some big enough to be their human parents, played games, ran through pumpkin-lined lanes, went up into the Martello towers which were set up as haunted houses, and when it was all over made a parade for just a block of Grande Allée to a food place that gave all the little ones some candy. People went home with pumpkins, too. It was great to see that and to hope that at least some of them knew that they were carrying home a lot of food.

Tonight I attend the first of several films at the Musée de la Civilization on the subject of the St. Lawrence river and its eco-system. Tomorrow there's an all-day conference with biologists and environmental experts. All of this is free to attend, as was the week of activities for the Caravan de la Francophonie and some of the events for the Sommet de la Francophonie.

Next I'll enter some entries written in my long-hand journal from the week of the Caravan de la Francophonie. This is it for today.

But oh, how beautiful, the morning sunshine on the St. Lawrence. I asked myself why it is I can't see that the river must indeed be flowing north, to the ocean. Maybe in this conference I'll learn why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!