Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Monday 1 December 2008

"Il est un temps ..."

At the base of statue of René Lévesque (1922-1987) on the parliament grounds in la ville de Québec:

Il est un temps où le courage et l'audace tranquilles deviennent pour un peuple, aux moments clés de son existence, la seule forme de prudence convenable.

S'il n'accepte pas alors le risque calculé des grandes étapes, il peut manquer sa carrière à tout jamais, exactement comme l'homme qui a peur de la vie.


Here's my translation for you:

There's a time when courage and calm audacity become for a people, at key moments of their existence, the only possible sort of prudence.

If the people do not then accept the calculated risk of big steps, it can lose its way forevermore, exactly like the man who is afraid of life.


René Lévesque was Prime Minister of Québec from 1976-1985.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!