Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Saturday 19 September 2009

Vraiment dans Vermont






















But here you have a picture from Stanstead, Québec, taken at the dedication of a new plaza within easy sight of the border crossing into Derby Line, Vermont. Ellen Mass, who told me about the event, is in the foreground in the blue shirt.

It was lovely to be back in Québec even so briefly, on this sunshiny September day when the good folks of Stanstead -- once the Granite Capital of Québec, I learned -- explained their vision for this Eastern Township (once the largest after Sherbrooke). Speeches by the mayor, the new director of the new Granite Museum, the sculptor, all were in French, though some summarized in English.

The U.S. has changed the whole atmosphere at the Derby Line-Rock Island (part of the Stanstead township now). Even so, or because of it, there is a real effort underway in Stanstead to greet whoever crosses with sculpture and fountain, interesting shops, good restaurants, a new granite museum, and beautification of the Tomofobia River.

It is sad to be gone from Québec, but there is the consolation of knowing that even within 25 miles, a French-speaking population welcomes visitors.

The sculpture, of Québec granite, is named Les Larmes Terrestials (did I spell that right?) -- Earth Tears.

I work to make my house in Barton a place where visitors will feel welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!