Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Tuesday 2 December 2014

Le Barbier

This evening writing from Seguin, Texas, on a computer without French markings that won't respond to number pad codes either, so no French, I'm afraid. But I did sit in a barber shop chair just earlier, one very like this one in the Gabrielle Roy Library on rue St. Joseph in Quebec City. As shown here, it was about to be taken away; it had been part of an installation in which the library user sat in the chair, put on some headphones, and listened to recorded stories. Here in Seguin, I have an old barber shop with, comme j'ai dit, a chair very like this one. Libraries are grand wherever they are, but none is finer than the Gabrielle Roy, a mon avis. Elle me manque.

Monique tells me that the reading at the Librarie St. Jean Baptiste on November 21 was "beautiful."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!