Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Thursday 6 July 2017

Les canards encore, mais une nouvelle famille et une nouveau projet.

I know they're hard to see.  They're very little.  I think the other adult wonders
where they came from.  But just like her and her flock (gaggle?)
they came up from la rivière Cap Rouge.
This photo was taken by friend Io's neighbor, Louise Girard.



My new project begun here in Quebec City with this visit is using the French-adapted keyboards at the libraries to type in the French version of poems I translated and (with Monique Laforce's help)  edited last summer, poetry by René Leynaud, friend of Albert Camus.  I offer a translation of a poem, The Insentient Pond Water.


L'eau insensible de l'étang
                    The Insentient Pond Water
                                                                                                 by René Leynaud

From time to time
The insentient pond water
Takes the heads off little ducks.

None plunge in at the same time.

The peaches are becoming ripe
Beneath a sky so wan, a flag
Rises just half-way up its pole.

I’m tired of my tipsinesses.


Ah!  How I love my garden
Where a fish grows without a sailor
And a thousand golden toads
Glitter in the family trees.


**************************************************************************
And the ducks on video from last year here in Cap Rouge:














No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!