Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Friday 29 September 2017

un poème par Iolande Jolicoeur

Io on passerelle over river Cap Rouge





28 septembre

ni être, ni avoir, sans mot dire
je vais jusqu'au bout de mes démons, de mes fantômes, de mes amours
à tout moment sollicitée, sans crainte de représailles --
"leftovers" de ma lucidité --
à bout de forces, à bout d'entrain
un clou en chasse un autre
un trou en fabrique un autre
                                                             Iolande Jolicoeur









September 28

neither being nor having, wordlessly
I go to the end of my demons, my phantoms, my loves
at each moment urged on, without fear of reprisals --
"leftovers" from my lucidity
at end of strength, of drive --
a nail hunting another
a hole making another
                                                    translation by Sylvia Manning





Sylvia Manning (left) and Io Jolicoeur on passerelle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!