Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Saturday 18 November 2017

C'est triste mais vrai -- Maria stepped into Québec


My friend Maria Martinez visited northern Vermont but could not enter Canada because even though she was born in the United States seventy years ago -- she had her birthday during this visit -- the U.S. government rejected her application for a passport because she was not born in a hospital.

But the librarian in Barton, Vermont, Toni Eubanks, suggested that she step across to the Quebec side of the Haskell library in Derby Line, so that is what she did.  Here is a picture of dear Maria on the Canadian side of the Haskell Library, her only way to visit Quebec:

Maria Martinez à Québec!
And here we are in Philadelphia, with the cracked Liberty Bell, later:

Maria Martinez with friend Sylvia and the Liberty Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!