Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Friday 14 February 2020

Ta Valentine, une poète

Valentine Penrose, née Boué, une poète, 1898-1978  [foto par Eileen Agar]
À mes carreaux
                                        À mes carreaux nul n'a dansé
                                        l'équateur a laissé la neige
                                        sans venues l'appel des brasiers.

Au balcon sans fleurir les bouteilles de cendres
de grive d'or sont perdus les pouvoirs
dessein de terre terne guise
cette fois est toutes les fois
les épées sont remises
et si hantées les plantes au coin d'air ont douté.


Mais heureuse la dame peut toute au ciel bouger
et les nuits linges filants aux ronces courant
fleurs de cendre de ce côté sûr bien attisées
le lierre le vent le lierre le vent.





At My Windows
                                                         At my windows no one has danced
                                                         the equator has left the snow
                                                         placeless the summons of embers

At the balcony unblooming the bottles of ash
of golden thrush are lost the powers
earth's drawing dull dress
this time is every time
the swords are put back
so haunted the nearby air plants have doubled

But lucky the lady can move all in the sky
and the nights streaking linen thorns running
ash flowers on this side well lit
ivy wind ivy wind.

                                                                             

translation by Mary Ann Caws in her Yale Anthology of Twentieth Century Poetry, p. 357


[She was definitely not your conventional Valentine, our poet.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine_Penrose.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!