Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Saturday 21 February 2009

Pouvez-vous voir les Appalachines? (Can you see Appalachia?)





Today you cannot see the Appalachians through the backyard gate of the house across the alley. All is too white with snow. But here’s a poem (from my poems on receipts) and a picture with which, if you really use your imagination, you can almost see them.

Appalachia from the Alley

When I stand outside at door in alley
if gate to residence across is open
even slightly
I can see Appalachia beyond
the St. Lawrence
Yes the Appalachians
Les Appalachines en français
and oh, how this does satisfy
a woman growing older who must
stand in the alleyway to smoke.

10 février 09, on Metro [supermarket] receipt for matches, etc., $7.94. Merci/ vous servir est un plaisir, …Bon Carnaval/ Nom caissiere: Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!