Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Sunday 1 March 2009

Des plusiers sujets/ Several subjects

La Première (1):

An interview with Peter G. Brown, geographer and philosopher, co-author of a book called The Right Relationship: Building a Whole Earth Economy. I think his is the clearest voice I've heard about our present ecological crisis and the connection to the current economic crisis. His book is available through such as Amazon or Barnes & Noble; my belovèd Tony Weisman has already ordered it.

La deuxième (2) To the left is a link for The Jessica Campaign -- where you can sign the petition to ask the provincial government(s) to put guards on snow removal machines (and you're urged to do so even if you're not Canadian by Jessica's mother, Jeanette Holman-Price)

and above that is a link to an interview with Peter G. Brown.

Le problème: AND NOW THE LIBRARY'S CLOSING!

Et neanmoins, La troisième(3):

"An intimate knowledge of the French-Canadian mind, culture and tradition is largely lacking among Anglo-Canadians. If the relationship between the two major races in Canada has grown out of an historic 'marriage by capture', the failure of the husband to understand his wife is partly due to his unwillingness to learn her language .... Out of comprehension, however, there may come better relations."


from Tradition du Quebec/The Quebec Tradition: An Anthology of French-Canadian Poetry and Verse, edited by Marion Seraphin, translated by Watson Kirkconnell (Montreal, I946), pp. 15 and I7.


quoted in A Bridge of Sorts: The Translation of Quebec Literature into English, by Kathy Mezei, published in The Yearbook of English Studies, Vol. 15, Anglo-French Literary Relations Special, 1985.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!