Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Wednesday 15 April 2009

FATRAS -- this and that


This picture is of part of a wall mural at René Lévesque and rue Cartier.

I've been working on translating, more than on any other one thing. Monday I finished a first translation of all the poems in Ni Fille de Ni Femme di -- Neither Daughter of nor Wife of -- one of five volumes of poetry by Monique Laforce, a poet of this city. Tonight I go to a writers' group meeting that I learned about from Monique when I heard her read at Café Babylon back in March.

Last night to a knitting group -- I think I've finally learned to turn a heel, thanks to a sweet urban planner named Julie! -- and then to a free showing of Los Olivados, Luis Buñuel's first movie, 1950, about poor boys in Mexico.

The knitting group met again at Café Babylon on St. Vallier. This morning I realized I was missing my little coin purse, bought years ago in Mexico, and called to see if I'd left it there. I had, so went down to Basse Ville (St. Roch) and had a wonderful vegetarian lunch, thus spending more than had been in the coin purse -- le portemonnaie. But what a great lunch it was.

My stack of little poems on receipts is growing. I have to keep the envelope closed with a clothes-pin.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!