Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Monday 27 April 2009

Mireille and her friend

Saturday, April 26, broke all records for being summery in spring. Walking down into basse ville a new way, I came upon young people using the pleasant day to roller paint a pretty orange over graffitti art.







I yelled up to them my question, "Puis-je prendre une photo?" and the young woman yelled down sure, go ahead. (In English. No fooling her.)

I took some pictures, then walked on, but I realized that wasn't good enough and walked back. After all, I could ask anything in English.

I found out that the young woman is named Mireille, that their work is legal on that wall, but "We have to buy the paint ourselves!"

"Will you put something else there where you're painting it orange?" I asked Mireille. "Oh, yes," she yelled down. "Come back in three hours and you can see it all finished!"





















I didn't get back until the next day, but the photographs above are the finished product. You can't see it very well, but the actual writing in the bottom of the first one reads "Summer begins today, 2009." In English. In the next one, repeated in real letters at bottom, is what you may have wanted to guess it says: MOWGZ.

That's not French. Je ne sais pas qu'est-ce qu'il veut dire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!