Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Monique Laforce and Laurier Vieilleux, ÉTERNITÉS BÂCLÉES

Or anyway, I think that's the right spelling for Laurier's name and their collection of poems written collaboratively. The launching for this new book of poetry, le lancement, was Sunday at the FouBar on rue St. Jean. It was lovely, lovely.

I went with a new friend met at the hostel, Deanna Macarthur. We went as well to un lancement the night before of a new work by Edmé Étienne. So Deanna, who is not a poetry afficinado, went to two poetry events in two days. And she's an anglophone from the Yukon who doesn't use French (or so she says. Her accent with place names is quite nice.)

For some reason I'm not able to post photographs here, even ones I have in the blogspot file. More reason to have a camera with me, perhaps, but I didn't at these poetry events. But I wasn't the only one! I saw Monique today and asked her if anyone had taken photographs, and she said no, there were none. C'est triste, je crois, parce que ce lancement a été très, très beau.

This morning I realized I could see snow in the valleys of the Laurentians. In a coffee shop, La Boîte à Pain, a man said he could smell the snow. Chez moi, il y a de soupe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!