Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Monday 3 August 2015

Laura Scribner's Memorial at the Morrin Center

Philip Wagner and Monique
in front of Morrin Center July 27, 2015


A week ago, at this writing, a memorial was held for Laura Scribner at the Morrin Center in Quebec City.  It was a happy event but sad, too, as the members of the Morrin Center Writers' Group knew Laura for many years and loved her.  Laura passed away on May 27 of this year at the age of 90.

This from Laura Scribner's obituary:  She also became more ensconced in the cultural fabric of Quebec City during her summers, becoming a valued member of the Quebec English Library Writer's group, and winning a Quebec prize for best poem. In 2005, she moved to an apartment in a historic stone building that she loved in nearby Goshen, reminiscent of the apartment dwellings of her beloved Quebec City. 

Her summer residence was in Le Colombier, where I stayed last year for a month.  It's just across St. Anne's street from the Morrin Center Library.  I first learned of it from Laura.  So, I don't have a picture of Laura to use here, but I have the beautiful window from Le Colombier, and I place it here again, for Laura:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!