Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Friday 31 July 2015

Ici une fois encore

C'est très bon, être à Québec encore une fois, si seulement pendant 2 jours.  Je suis allée avec mon ami, Philip Wagner, de Burlington.  Nous sommes allés aux Chutes Montmorency dans la faubourg de Beauport.  Monique m'a dit qu'elle a été là il y a 30 ou 40 ans!  Quand elle a été là la dernière fois, il n'y a pas une passerelle à traverse les chutes.  Elle nous a raconté que ses fils sont traversés les chutes neanmoins par utilisant un grand conduit!  Elle n'a pas su depuis longtemps.

Monique Laforce and Sylvia at Montmorency Falls in Beauport, July 28, 2015
Imagine?  Learning that your sons had crossed the Montmorency Falls before there was a bridge, on just a pipe?

Nous avons travaillé beaucoup avec un projet de traducción à moi, Poésie Posthumes, par René Leynaud, publié par Camus en 1947. Elle lisait la traite avec moi pour  la perfectiionner.

Such hard work!  But I think we both enjoyed it.  We were only able to go over half the collected poems in the time we had, though we worked almost nonstop except for our wonderful trip to the falls.  Oh, well.  I have to find a way to go back up again for us to work on it again.

Il faut retourner.

Monique in her kitchen.

Another thing we accomplished was to go through a stack of poems Monique wrote in English.  I had these with me for us to see if any of them worked for the current themes for Waterways:  Poetry in the Mainstream, where we've been publishing regularly, often with Monique's French and my own translation, sometimes with the two versions face to face, which we like most of all.  Monique hardly thought we'd find poems to fit the themes -- quotations from poems by New York City poet Donald Lev, but we found several.  This way, because it's hard for us to communicate by computer -- neither Monique nor I have internet connection in our homes -- we'll have some poems in reserve to offer up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!