Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Friday 17 March 2017

poème par Monique Laforce publiée en Waterways en enero et une photo prise par moi en 2009

  • Il manque  9 jours qu'il y a 8 ans depuis j'ai prise cette photo à la coin de Cartier y René Levesque.





    Chaque jour, je refais l’espace et le temps
    à mon rythme, à ma mesure
    je reprends une à une les histoires
    tombées telles les feuilles d’un automne
    je les remue les secoue les aligne
    comme si le monde à force de désir
    pouvait se réparer tout seul
    et m’absorber à nouveau
    au fond, je m’en doute,
    la vie prend l’éternité à se créer.

    Every day, I remake space and time
    to my own rhythm, my own measure
    I take up again one by one the stories
    fallen like autumn leaves
    I move them shake them line them up
    as if the world by force of desire
    could repair itself all by itself
    and take me in anew
    though really, I know better :
                                                          life takes eternity to create itself.
                                   
     [translation by Sylvia Manning]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!