Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Wednesday 8 March 2017

Anna Julia Cooper, an international woman

Spoke Sunday about Anna Julia Cooper, born into slavery in North Carolina in 1858, lived to see Martin Luther King's march on Washington.


She learned French well enough to research the Haitian revolution, write a dissertation, and then successfully defend the dissertation for three hours -- at the Sorbonne!  The title is L'attitude de la France a l'esclavage pendant la revolution.  She received her doctorate from the Sorbonne in 1925.  She was 67.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!