Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Friday 24 August 2018

Better transit services needed in Vermont



When I heard that more connectedness between Quebec and Vermont would be the subject of the  Vermont Public Radio station (NPR), and that the focus would be, especially, transportation, I e-mailed this comment/question which indeed was read on the air on Monday, August 18:

Allo!

Northern Vermont needs more public transportation if the previously shared cultural heritage of the Eastern Townships/Northeast Kingdom is to thrive or even survive.  Quebec City is less than 4 hours by car from Stanstead/Derby Line, but for the person who wants to travel conscientiously, there's no way to get to Sherbrooke to catch a bus or to travel back from there on return.

It doesn't help that Montreal is closer, because one still has to get to Sherbrooke or Magog, and there's no way.  (Montreal's great, but it's not as French.  Is it even in the Eastern Townships?)

There's a dire need for public transportation in the NEK, and as someone who has tried for many years to learn French and be a better neighbor to Quebec, but also to the planet, I really hope that this issue of connection through public transport can receive more attention.  Ignoring the need for public transportation while giving focus to such as electric private vehicles is not even part of the solution but rather part of the problem.  
 
********************************************************************
I was glad they read it but quite sad with the answer or response to comment, all about how public transit regulations are too different for there to be any connections.  Very bureaucratic answer from whomever, not really addressing  the problem at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!