Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Friday 3 July 2020

extrait du discours de Frederick Douglas pour le 4 juillet 1852 et un poème en reponse par Dr. Charles Taylor




Quel est, pour l'esclave américain, votre 4 juillet? Je réponds: une journée qui lui révèle, plus que tous les autres jours de l'année, l'injustice et la cruauté flagrantes dont il est la victime constante. Pour lui, votre célébration est une imposture; votre liberté vantée, une licence impie; votre grandeur nationale, la vanité enflée; vos sons de réjouissance sont vides et sans cœur; vos dénonciations de tyrans, l'impudence face aux cuivres; vos cris de liberté et d'égalité, moquerie creuse; vos prières et hymnes, vos sermons et actions de grâces, avec tout votre défilé religieux et votre solennité, ne sont pour lui que de la baston, de la fraude, de la tromperie, de l'impiété et de l'hypocrisie - un mince voile pour dissimuler des crimes qui déshonoreraient une nation de sauvages . Il n'y a pas une nation sur terre coupable de pratiques, plus choquantes et sanglantes, que le peuple de ces États-Unis, à cette heure même.

                                       Frederick Douglas


What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July? I answer: a day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim. To him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty, an unholy license; your national greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your denunciations of tyrants, brass fronted impudence; your shouts of liberty and equality, hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade, and solemnity, are, to him, mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy — a thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a nation of savages. There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices, more shocking and bloody, than are the people of these United States, at this very hour. 

****************

"What to the American slave, is your 4th of July.... your celebration is a sham."
                                             Frederick Douglas, 1852

Dear Frederick, I
always ignore the 4th of 
July. It's only

short displays in dark
sky of brilliant colors,
like our instant lives.

Something's off with me,
I suppose, I never dug
our country's intense

noisy wallowing
in jingoistic booms of
puffing chests and pride.

I'm a runaway
from patriotic life, off
to other nations

or off to hidden
corners or a patch of woods 
where I disappear.

I make excuses,
but I am an introvert.
Don't like to debate.

Something snapped in me.
Only at odd times did I 
see a way forward.

So much force against
any sort of change, so much
evil done, lands ripped

from native hands and
then slaves brought in to slave
and sweat on the land,

then wars and wars and
wars, with assassinations,
assassinations.

It made me angry
and sick, while my working on
campaigns brought no wins

so I became this
runaway, though I did
get chained to a tree

and went off to jail.
I ran away from what seemed
a heavy burden,

weight of history 
I could face but never bear,
Frederick Douglas.

I had three kids to 
raise and lived most my life
month to month. I was

busy with work and
chores. Still, I should have worked more
for a better world.

I hope the time has
come for change now with these kids
marching in the streets

                                                                        Charles Taylor


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!