Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Saturday 13 June 2009

un poème traduit il y a longtemps

Il y a un mois que je suis revenue au Texas. Je pars d'ici au norte, près la frontière avec Québec en Vermont, bientôt. Je serai très contente d'arriver d'être encore une fois dans la norte.

Dans la rue Cartier dans la ville de Québec il y a une bonne blanchisserie.

Ici j'ai un poème sur une blanchisserie par un amie. Je viens de le trouver dans mes papiers. Je ne sais pas pourquoi je choisissais le mot laverie en lieu de blanchisserie quand je l'a traduit en 2006. Est-il comment on dit en Québec? Je oublis. Et aussi, sèche-linges n'est pas correcct. Comment dit-on? C'est comme ça. Ici:


It's been a month since I returned to Texas. I leave here for the north, near the Vermont border of Quebec, soon. I will be very happy to be able to be in the north again.

On Cartier Street in Quebec City there's a nice laundromat.

Here I have a poem by a friend about a laundromat. I just found it in my papers. I don't know why I chose the word laverie instead of blanchisserie when I translated it in 2006. Is that how we say it in Quebec? And also, sèche-linges isn't right for dryer. How does one say it? I forget. It's like that. Here:

LAUNDROMAT

This is how Hopper would have painted it:
the line of yellow dryers
catching the sunlight from the broad window,
man with his hand reached up to the coin slot,
head turned to the side as though reflecting,
woman bent over the wide table
intent on her sorting,
another standing hands at her sides looking off —
as though visiting another country:
each thing as it is,
not reaching beyond the scene for his symbols,
saying merely, “On such and such a day,
it was just as I show you.”
Each person, object static
but the light a pilgrim.

en Salon. No. 21, Winter 1993 (Fort Collins CO: Salon)



La Laverie

Ceci est comme Hopper aurait le peint:
la rangée des sèche-linges jaunes
renvoyant le soleil de la vitrine,
l'homme avec la main étendue à la machine à sous
la tête tournée au côté comme si réfléchissant,
la femme inclinée sur la table large
concentrée sur le trier,
autre debout, les mains aux côtés, voyant au-delà —
comme si de visiter autre pay;
chaque chose comme c'est,
pas étendant au-dessus de la scène pour ses symboles,
disant simplement “En tel jour,
cela a été seulement comme je te donne,”
Chaque personne, chaque objet statique
mais la lumière une pèlerine.


traduit à la français par Sylvia Manning, March 14, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!