Learning in Québec

My photo
I'm someone who began learning French when I was 53. I took a BA in French at 60 but wasn't happy with my level of comprehension (though I read very well). So, having really become comfortable with Spanish only by living on the Mexican border, I'm spending more time in Québec and near the border of Quebec, in Vermont, to see if I can do that here with French. I want to encourage others to do the same.

Saturday 14 December 2013

This poem for Monique Laforce, Quebec City poet, is because we both thought of Marcel Duchamp's painting, Nude Descending, when we saw a painting by Richard Spiegel (Waterways: Poetry in the Mainstream).


Milagro Pequeño

(for Monique)

Oh, dear friend, also?
You too thought of Duchamp?
But did you think of los campos
and De Colores? Did you hear
de colores se visten
los campos en la primavera?

Is this a small miracle
that Duchamp means de los campos
and De Colores when we sing
can remove, yes, move again
and move away, los dolores?

Oh, dear friend, is beauty
the nude descending
unashamed forever
of life in its sadness
and glory?

I remember your line,
“I am this country.”

Bendigas. De Colores.
Duchamp.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!